NICHOLAS INSTITUTE DIRECTOR, WATER POLICY, NICHOLAS INSTITUTE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY SOLUTIONS, DUKE UNIVERSITY
The Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy solutions is seeking a Director for its water policy program. The Nicholas Institute improves environmental policymaking worldwide through objective, fact-based research and policy engagement at local, national and international scales. The Nicholas Institute is part of Duke University and its wider community of world-class scholars. This unique resource allows the Nicholas Institute's team of economists, scientists, lawyers and policy experts to not only deliver timely, credible analyses to a wide variety of decision makers, but convene these individuals to discuss and achieve common understandings regarding this century's most pressing environmental problems.
The water program director position oversees the research and engagement of water policy or water finance in the areas of water supply and quality. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and experience related to policy, planning, governance, or business, dimensions of water supply, water quality, and effects of climate change on water resources. The Water Policy Program Director assists the Nicholas Institute Director in the development and implementation of a plan for strategic growth of the Nicholas Institute’s water program. Additionally, the Program Director helps direct the program’s fund raising activities with private foundations, corporate foundations, and corporations. This position is not a faculty position, but would afford opportunities to interact and collaborate with faculty and students.
· Oversee general operation of the water program
· Work collaboratively with other institute programs on strategic program initiatives, in particular finding ways to integrate work across the ecosystems programs (land, water, and oceans/coasts)
· Recruit, manage, and directly supervise research staff, including 90-day, six-month and annual performance reviews
· Conduct research and publish results internally as well as in peer-reviewed academic journals, as appropriate
· Communicate scientific understanding and policy approaches to the Institute's target audiences (e.g., legislators, regulatory agencies, company executives, heads of non-governmental organizations and foundations)
· Coordinate engagement with university faculty, external stakeholders, and policymakers, including the ongoing development of a Nicholas Institute water working group with faculty
· Serve as main point of contact for foundation program officers and, as applicable other external stakeholders such as non-profits, representatives from corporations and corporate philanthropies
· Work with faculty and stakeholders to plan and to conduct meetings, workshops, conferences, and events
· Develop, secure, and manage program funding
· Develop and manage annual program budget
· Identify opportunities for publicizing the Nicholas Institute’s water work, including informing external stakeholders about research projects and output
· Oversee student involvement in Institute water program activities, including research assistantships, internship and externships.
· Represent the Institute through travel to meetings, conferences and to donor solicitations
· In some instances, these program director responsibilities—most notably travel but also key communications with other Institute directors and key stakeholders—assume that the Director is available both during and after normal business hours
Required Qualifications at this Level
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae with at least three references and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position was posted on February 5, 2013.