Santa Clara University School of Law, High Tech Law Institute
Director, Entrepreneurs' Law Clinic & Clinical Law Faculty Member
The Santa Clara University School of Law is in the process of creating an Entrepreneurs' Law Clinic. The School seeks a qualified candidate to serve as Director and clinical faculty member. The position is an eleven-month appointment. The position will report to the Director of the High Tech Law Institute.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Essential attributes and responsibilities of this position are:
1. J.D. degree and California bar membership in good standing.
2. At least five years experience providing legal services to start-up businesses on formation, financing, corporate, customer/vendor and operational matters.
3. Ability to work independently but within the context of a complex academic environment.
4. Knowledge of the Silicon Valley venture capital and entrepreneur community.
5. Outstanding skills at advising clients, drafting legal documents, mentoring and teaching.
6. Experience teaching students and/or lawyers, particularly in a seminar, clinical or skills development setting (preferred).
1. As a clinical faculty member, the hired individual will:
- Provide year round instruction in clinical law courses, including the direct supervision of law students.
- Provide extensive supervision of students providing services to clients.
- Counsel and mentor students.
2. In addition, as the Director of the Entrepreneur's Law Clinic, the hired individual will:
- Develop the clinic's academic curriculum.
- Decide which clients to represent (and when they have outgrown the clinic) and, with students' help, provide legal services to ensure the clinic's clients' legal needs are met.
- Develop a referral network of attorneys who can provide services to clinic clients that the clinic isn't providing.
- Manage the clinic's administration, including possible supervision of administrative staff.
- Create and work with an advisory board of diverse constituents.
- Explore ways to increase the clinic's financial self-sufficiency.
- Make effective presentations to faculty, bar, university, civic and professional audiences.
- Under current School of Law procedures, Supervising Attorneys/Clinic Directors are eligible to receive two one-year appointments followed by renewable multi-year contracts.
RANK AND SALARY: Commensurate with experience. Santa Clara University offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. If you have specific salary requirements, please note them in your cover letter.
Starting Date: May 1, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be considered until the position is filled. For priority consideration, interested parties should submit their application by January 25, 2013.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications should include a cover letter and a resume or c.v. Applications should be addressed to:
Entrepreneurs' Law Clinic Faculty Search Committee
c/o Ms. Laura McGeehon
Santa Clara University Law School
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053
Applications also may be sent via e-mail to Ms. McGeehon at email@example.com
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California's Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master's, Ph.D., and law degrees.
Distinguished by the highest retention rate and ranked second among all master's universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is California's oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.