AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION RULE OF LAW INITIATIVE
TITLE: Legal Advisor/ Program Manager LOCAT
ION: Beijing, China
ABA ROLI seeks a Legal Advisor for its program in China. The Legal Advisor will work with the Country Director and the Deputy Director to develop, implement, and evaluate ABA ROLI’s rule of law programs in China. Our programs cover a broad range of substantive areas including women’s rights, the rights of individuals with disabilities, criminal justice reform, environmental protection, and civil society capacity building. Programming approaches include training, pilot projects, and practical research to support policy reform. Competitive candidates will have a background in China and the Chinese legal system, experience living and/ or working in China, and will be proficient in Mandarin.
· Assisting with the design, implementation and evaluation of programs;
· Participating in and providing technical assistance to program activities conducted by program partners and maintaining a cooperative working relationship with program partners;
· Ensuring compliance with donor requirements, including producing quarterly and final program reports, monitoring and evaluation plans and other deliverables;
· Assisting with the development of grant proposals;
· Providing China-specific substantive support to Country Director.
· Must have a JD or equivalent and at least three years of practical legal experience, with a minimum of two years working on legal reform programs in China;
· Rule of law expertise in one or more of the following areas: justice sector reform, criminal justice, legal professional education, women’s rights, civil society capacity building, and access to justice;
· Demonstrated planning, management, analytical, and writing skills;
· Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills;
· Strong knowledge of the Chinese legal system, as well as the current political and cultural context;
· Fluency in English and proficiency in both written and spoken Chinese (Mandarin) required.