This may not be useful to most of the recent law grads (former students) from my institutions, but I guess this shows that there are attorney jobs related to the environment across the entire federal government. For link in USAJOBS, see here: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/343747500
Job Title: ATTORNEY-ADVISOR (ENVIRONMENTAL)
Department: Department of the Air Force
Agency: U.S. Air Force - Agency Wide
Job Announcement Number: 7I-AFPC-893819-877318-DMT
SALARY RANGE: $83,687.00 to $108,791.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Friday, May 17, 2013 to Friday, May 31, 2013
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0905-13
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 13
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in Luke AFB, AZ United States
WHO MAY APPLY: United States Citizens
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win…in air, space and cyberspace.
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
IF APPLICABLE: A military service member's statement of service/certification will be accepted IF a terminal leave form or DD214 cannot be provided. The statement/certification should indicate member's separation from active duty is within 120 days of the closing date of this announcement. It must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin, your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
WHO MAY APPLY: Click here for more information. You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. **Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
This is a Centrally Managed position in the Legal Career Field.
U.S. Citizenship Required
Travel and relocation expenses will be paid
Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal & Regulatory Guidance
This is a "KEY" position
This is a Career Program position in the Legal Career Field
· The primary purpose of this position is to serve as senior legal Attorney-Advisor to the 56th Fighter Wing Commander, Staff Judge Advocate, Wing staff, and subordinate organizations on critical and specialized professional legal matters to include: Environmental, Real Estate, Land Use, Labor, Contracts, Ethics and Legal Assistance. The position requires the incumbent to perform duties as the functional Chief of Environmental and Real Estate Law and to oversee the work of the military attorneys assigned as assistant Chief of Environmental and Real Estate Law and Chiefs of Labor law and Contracts Law. The incumbent will assist the Chief of Civil Law in supervising and training junior military attorneys and paralegal personnel and will assume the role of acting Chief of Civil law in the Chief’s absence.
· Environmental, Real Estate and Land Use laws. Serves as the principal attorney in charge of advising key 56 FW leaders and management official on complex and novel environmental, land use and real estate legal issues affecting Luke AFB and the 1.1. million-acre Barry M. Goldwater Range (BMG Range).
· Labor Law. Advises key 56 FW leaders and management officials on complex and difficult civilian employee or union labor cases, to include precedent setting cases with agency-wide impact. Advises key officials if a case should be settled or tried.
· Performs legal work involving Acquisitions and Contract Law. Reviews proposed procurement and NAFI contract actions; provides pre-award advice on a variety of issues to contracting officers and source selection authorities; performs pre-award legal review of contract for legal sufficiency; prepares litigation report and legal memoranda.
· Responsible for overseeing the 56th Fighter Wing’s Ethics Program. Serves as an ethics counselor to 56 FW personnel and manages of the 56 FW ethics program.
· Provides advice and guidance to eligible legal assistance clients regarding personal civil matters under the Air Force Legal Assistance Program. Provides guidance and training on the provision of legal assistance to attorneys and paralegals.
QUALIFICATIONS: There is no OPM qualification standard for this series.
These positions are in the excepted service, and agencies establish their own qualification requirements for them.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of law, legal principles, ethics and federal regulations relevant to the duties of the position and experience to provide timely and pertinent advice.
2. Knowledge of Environmental and Labor law.
3. Skill and knowledge involving Contract and contractual actions and government-wide and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation (DFARs).
4. Skill and ability to recognize analyze and discern key legal points of a factual situation.
5. Skill and ability to review and concisely & clearly convey legal issues, documents or decisions to personnel not in the legal profession.
6. Ability to plan and conduct thorough legal research with available resources.
7. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing in both formal and informal settings and provide well-reasoned analyses and clear conclusions on complex issues with little advance preparation.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Must be thoroughly competent in real property and environmental law and knowledgeable in labor, contract, fiscal, administrative and civil law.
2. Must be an active Bar member in good standing and be able to provide an Official Certificate from the Bar of a Federal Court or the highest court of a State or Territory of the United States.
3. Must be a graduate of a law school that is accredited by the American Bar Association.
4. Must be a practicing attorney with at least five (5) years experience in good standing.
5. This employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and or holidays.
6. The employee must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate SECRET security clearance. Management is responsible for ensuring that the Unit Manning Document correctly reflects this requirement.
7. The employee may be recalled to duty to support contingency or emergency operations.
8. May be required to travel by regularly scheduled military or commercial aircraft in the performance of TDY.
9. In accordance with AFI 36-607 this is a Key Position. Incumbent must be removed from their military recall status if alternatives for filling the position during an emergency are not available.
10. Recruitment and selection of incumbent for this position will be accomplished in accordance with AFI 51-107.
11. The employee must attend a training course in Environmental law, labor law and contracts law, held at either the Air Force JAG school or Army JAG school, or equivalent training course, within 12 months of being hired. The
Supervisor has the ability to waive all or part of this requirement if the training is not necessary or has already been completed prior to hire.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, click here for an overview benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 80 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
· If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent". It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
· If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
· For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, May 31, 2013
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, click here for the required cover page. This Vacancy ID is 893819. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
2. OPM Form 1203-FX must be provided to show your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Please note: The numbering on the OPM Form 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire in Section 25 of the OPM Form 1203-FX, which continuously numbers from number one, while the Questionnaire starts each section of questions with number one. When entering your responses please continue regardless of number sequence. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their responses are transferred accurately. Click here for the OPM Form 1203-FX
3. Fax all required documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your OPM Form 1203-FX will be the cover page for your fax transmission.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement.
· Online Application (Questionnaire)
· Resume -
If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications. A list of required documents for all eligibilities may be located here:
· Eligibility Documentation, SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
· Transcripts, if qualifying based on education or positive education series
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Air Force Personnel Center
7383 N Litchfield Rd Ste 1172
LUKE AFB , AZ
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.